Wednesday, May 1, 2013

DIY Fabric Softener


Here is another DIY laundry tip. It is almost too easy!

Vinegar Laundry Softener
Vinegar is all I use now to soften my clothes and reduce static cling! Aside from being a natural softener, it also removes soap residue in the washing machine and reduces static in the dryer. You can add vinegar to a Downy ball and throw it in with your laundry, or pour vinegar directly into the fabric softener dispenser if your washing machine has one (which mine does). I like to add 1-2 drops of my favorite essential oil to the vinegar in the softener dispenser. It gives my laundry a nice light scent after it is washed but I also always use an unscented laundry detergent.  

If I have time to make up my fabric softener, I will often add baking soda to the mix. Just be careful as it effervesces quite a lot! Baking soda is another natural softener, plus it helps to clean and deodorize clothes. Here is the recipe for that one:

 6 cups of vinegar
1 cup of baking soda
Essential Oil

SLOWLY mix together in a large container. I add enough essential oil to give it a nice scent. Store it in the vinegar bottle or a squirt bottle. Shake before each use. Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup during the rinse cycle. I have an High Efficiency washer so I use less but if you have the regular kind ... just add more. 

Sometimes I don't have the baking soda handy so you can mix up just vinegar and essential oils and that will do the trick. Or if you like to change the scent, just use plain vinegar (or the vinegar/baking soda mix) and add a few drops of essential oil right in the machine. 

Sweet orange brightens and fights stains


Lavender offers a calming effect


Peppermint can help fight tough odors on clothing


MonicaHubinette @ kikaPaprika.com ~ http://kika.hubbe.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be reviewed before it is posted to my blog. Thank you!